Position Title: Associate Biosafety Officer (Safety Compliance Specialist) (Job Code: PHD3)
Location: Iowa City, IA
Department: Environmental Health and Safety Office
Job Type: Full Time
The Environmental Health and Safety Office is looking for an Associate Biosafety Officer. This position serves as the University’s Associate Biosafety Officer by assisting with the administration and management of the comprehensive institutional biosafety program. The biosafety program is directed toward promoting the health and safety of employees and regulatory compliance of the institution, in regard to research projects involving human and animal pathogens, biological toxins, select agents, recombinant DNA, and shipping biological materials.
Key Areas of Responsibility
|Specific Job Duties and Tasks
|Workplace Assessments, Surveys and Inspections
|· Review and approve inspection and/or evaluation reports.
· Participate in inspections/audits of research laboratories for compliance with applicable standards.
· Oversee and ensure database results are complete and accurate, and prepare appropriate technical reports.
|· Implement federal, state and local regulatory requirements and guidelines.
· Develop and implement regulatory-based safety programs.
· Assist with the administration of a comprehensive institutional biosafety program that focuses on safety and regulatory compliance in research, workplace health and safety, transportation of biohazardous materials, and emergency preparedness.
· Evaluate research projects involving human and animal pathogens, biological toxins, CDC and/or APHIS select agents, rDNA, and support and advise researchers/units on regulatory compliance, issues of health and safety, and applicable regulatory guidelines.
· Review Sponsored Program research projects and evaluate rDNA, IACUC and research containment protocols for biological issues as needed.
· Serve as an Alternate Responsible Official for the University’s Select Agent Program, which may include the need to respond outside of normal business hours.
· Oversee the University DOT/IATA program for bio-hazardous materials; maintains current resource materials and training for compliance.
· Provide guidance in the design and construction of laboratories/bio-containment facilities on campus as needed.
· Must be able to successfully complete the DOJ background check (security risk assessment).
· Must be able to wear personal protective equipment and respiratory protection.
|· Coordinate data collection, interpretation and report preparation for university departments, or for reports provided primarily through the Safety Officer to regulatory agencies.
· Assist with federal permit applications and requirements, as needed.
|Equipment Operation and Maintenance
|• Oversee the management of the Biosafety Cabinet Program, which includes: ensuring all cabinets on campus remain compliant with institutional policies; providing guidance regarding the proper use of biosafety cabinets; acting as a liaison between the university research staff and the contracted company, as needed.
|· Review exposure reports and communicate necessary changes to prevent reoccurrence.
· Investigate reports of injuries involving biological agents/sharps injuries.
|· Develop, conduct, and maintain training programs and informational materials.
· Develop and maintain education/training/compliance materials and other resources for the purpose of educating personnel in appropriate biological safety procedures and regulatory compliance.
· Develop and conduct safety training courses pertinent and appropriate for a comprehensive biological safety program.
|· Hire, develop and manage the performance of staff; ensure staff are compliant with UI policies and procedures.
· Recruit, develop, train and manage the performance of the Biosafety Coordinator.
|· Interpret and implement HR policies and procedures; resolve issues.
· Provide administrative and/or functional supervision to the Biosafety Coordinator.
· Provide functional and/or administrative supervision of staff or students.
|Education or Equivalency Required
|A Master’s degree in Microbiology, Virology, Molecular Biology, Molecular Genetics, or related biological science, or an equivalent combination of education and progressively responsible work experience is required.
|· Demonstrate extensive experience with biomedical research involving human pathogens and recombinant DNA.· Demonstrates extensive knowledge, of biosafety regulations, consensus standards and biosafety level (BLS) 2 lab practices.
· Demonstrates working knowledge of designing and developing educational/training programs.
· Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills.· Demonstrate an ability to work with diverse individuals and groups in a constructive and civil manner.
· Demonstrate extensive attention to detail and accuracy.· Possession of a valid state or commercial driver’s license, and the ability to meet University Fleet Safety Standards.
|Highly Desirable Qualification
|· Experience with BSL3 biocontainment.· Direct supervisory experience of students or professionals.
|· Demonstrate a knowledge of packaging and shipping regulations for biological materials.
· Demonstrate a knowledge of University of Iowa policies, procedures and regulations.
More details about the position can be found in the online job listing.
See requisition # 22004855 at https://jobs.uiowa.edu