- This event has passed.
2016 Symposium Pre-Conference Course – Introduction to Biosafety Risk Assessment
1 August, 2016 @ 8:00 am - 12:00 pm EDT$75 – $105.00
A pre-conference course will be offered again this year for Monday morning from 8am-12pm.
Introduction to Biosafety Risk Assessment
Patrick Condreay, PhD RBP
Patrick is the owner and principal consultant of PC Biosafety Consulting Services, LLC. Prior to that he was a Group Leader at GlaxoSmithKline for 28 years. He currently is a councilor on the ABSA Executive Board and is very active in ABSA.
The WHO Laboratory Biosafety Manual states, The backbone of the practice of biosafety is risk assessment. While there are many tools available to assist in the assessment of risk for a given procedure or experiment, the most important component is professional judgement. To establish that capability in a biological safety program it is essential to understand the process of risk assessment and how it leads to the choices of risk mitigation steps used in various scenarios. We will start with a framework for risk assessment and the factors that help us determine relative levels of risk. This will be followed by a discussion of hazard identification for different types of biohazards. Short interactive exercises will be interspersed throughout to foster discussion of the concepts presented. The course will finish with an introduction to control measures used to mitigate biohazard risk.
The participants will be able to:
- Explain the concepts and process for performing a biological risk assessment
- Identify the hazards within experimental plans and appraise the factors that affect the level of risk presented by these hazards
- Apply the acquired knowledge to develop a risk assessment of an experimental protocol
- Evaluate the different types of engineering controls, administrative controls, and personal protective equipment used to mitigate biohazard risk
Registration Fee includes
- Parking pass for IUPUI campus
- Lunch after the course
18 people are attending 2016 Symposium Pre-Conference Course – Introduction to Biosafety Risk Assessment