- This event has passed.
Jul 22-Aug 3, 2020 | 16th Annual MABioN Biosafety Symposium @ GoToWebinar
July 22 - August 3
Thank you for supporting MABioN!
Because it’s now more important than ever, the 16th Annual MABioN Biosafety Symposium will still be held, just not in-person and not August 3-5, 2020 in Ann Arbor, MI.
Symposium will include the following sessions:
- MABioN Symposium Part 1: Jul 22, 11:00am-1:30pm CDT
- MABioN Symposium Part 2: Jul 28, 11:00am-1:30pm CDT
- MABioN Symposium Part 3: Aug 3, 1:00pm-5:00pm CDT (Biological Imports Short Course)
- Happy Hour (date & time TBD)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our annual Biosafety Symposium will be held remotely through our GoToWebinar platform. You can still participate, present, and attend – and get CM points from ABSA – but you can do it from home or office. Our hope is to not only have our usual attendance of 40-50 members but to double or even triple attendance to provide CM points for the many biosafety professionals out there that will be unable to attend other regional affiliate symposiums or training courses that may have been canceled due to COVID-19 or travel restrictions.
What is the “Normal” MABioN Biosafety Symposium?
The Symposium is a two day conference for biosafety professionals and others involved in biosafety. The Symposium opens at 1pm on Monday and concludes after lunch on Wednesday. Presentations on various topics related to biosafety are planned for Monday afternoon, all day Tuesday and Wednesday morning. An optional half-day pre-conference workshop will be held Monday morning, and an optional facility tour on Wednesday afternoon. Come and network with biosafety professionals in the Midwest area and learn and share information about biosafety. Register separately for the Monday morning workshop, which includes a break and lunch.
Symposium registration includes:
- Breaks on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
- Lunch on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday
- Dinner Reception on Tuesday Night
- Monday morning pre-symposium workshop (additional fee applies)
Wed, Jul 22, 2020 11:00 AM – 1:30 PM CDT
We have broken our traditional two day symposium into 3 sessions on 3 separate days. The list of speakers for the first session is below. Each speaker will have ~25 minutes to talk and 5-10 minutes for questions/discussion. The MABioN Business meeting will take up the remaining time in this session.
- Chris Jenkins – Human Gene Transfer COVID-19 – Current Status and Biosafety Challenges
- Sivarchana Mareedu – Development and Validation of Biosafety Climate Scale for US Biomedical and Microbiological Research Universities
- Sarah Lawson – Getting the Train Back on the Tracks – Research in the Time of COVID-19
- MABioN Business Meeting
Tue, Jul 28, 2020 11:00 AM – 1:30 PM CDT
The list of speakers for the first session is below. Each speaker will have ~25 minutes to talk and 5-10 minutes for questions/discussion.
- Kara Sarchet – VLPs and Pseudoviruses
- Susan Vleck – Zoonotic Challenges in Biosafety: When an Everyday BSL1 becomes a LAI
- Sumit Ghosh – Safeguards for Using Viral Vector Systems in Human Gene Therapy: A Resource for Biosafety Professionals
- Allen Helm – Ramping up during a ramp-down: A biosafety program shifts gears and Zooms forward
Mon, Aug 3, 2020 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM CDT
This event will be a 4 hour short course on biological imports presented by agents from U.S. Customs and Border Protection.