- This event has passed.
11th Annual MABioN Biosafety Symposium
3 August, 2015 @ 1:00 pm - 5 August, 2015 @ 1:00 pm CDT$50.00
2015 MABioN Biosafety Symposium
Hosted by Northwestern University – Evanston, IL
August 3-5 2015
2015 Symposium Sponsors
|SalusWaukegan, IL||VWRRadnor, PA|
Kansas City, MO
Burr Ridge, IL
Location: Evanston, IL
|Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston1818 Maple Avenue, Evanston, Illinois, 60201, USATEL: +1-847-475-6400FAX: +1-847-475-6460|
Call the hotel directly and mention the “MABioN Symposium” to get the special rate.
This Hilton Garden Inn near Northwestern University offers a wide range of amenities including
complimentary WiFi, a 24-hour business center,complimentary fitness center
and a breakfast/dinner service restaurant onsite, providing everything you need to make your stay successful.
Go North on I-294 to Dempster St. Exit East. Stay on Dempster approx. 15 minutes.
Turn left onto McCormick Blvd. Turn right onto Golf Rd., which becomes Emerson St.
Turn right onto Maple Ave. & hotel will be on the right.
Within walking distance:
|European Margarita Inn1655 Oak St., Evanston Ph: (847) 869-2273||From $129/night + tax|
|Best Western University Plaza1501 Sherman Ave., Evanston Ph: 847/491-6400||From $129/night + tax|
|The Homestead 1625 Hinman Ave., EvanstonPh: 847-475-3300||From $140/night + tax|
Nearby via car/cab:
|DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago-North Shore Conference Center9599 Skokie Blvd., SkokiePh: 847-679-7000||From $135/night + tax|
|Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago-North Shore 5201 Old Orchard Rd., Skokie Ph: 847-583-1111||From $135/night + tax|
- Chicago – O’Hare
- Chicago – Midway
From the Airport:
CTA (the El) and Metra lines nearby
- Taxi: Good option. As soon as you land, call one of these companies to arrange a pick-up, generally Baggage claim (lower level), middle lane. Cost: $31, plus $5-6 tip
- Note: These are set rate taxi companies, if you use a different company, the rate will be different.
- Primetime Limousine Service, Contact Donovan work: 224-280-6700; Cell 773-416-7836, Cost: $45 plus tip
- Go Airport Express, for Shared Van, Cost: $46 plus tip
- CTA/ Buses – Requires changing buses/trains
Hilton Garden Inn (Evanston, IL)
Tuesday Night Reception
Extra tickets can be added to your registration during checkout for $50 each.
Registration is now open!
Registration links can be found at the bottom of this page.
MABioN Members: $225 (before July 3rd); $275 (after July 3rd)
Non-Members: $275 (before July 3rd); $325 (after July 3rd)
Note: Registration for members is only available when you are logged into the website.
If you want to save a little money, become a member of MABioN for only $25/year and then register as a member. Information can be found here
Symposium registration includes:
- Workshop on Monday afternoon
- Breaks on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
- Lunch on Tuesday and Wednesday
- Dinner Reception on Tues. Night.
Dietary Restrictions: There is a box on the checkout page to indicate any dietary restrictions/requirements you may have.
*NEW* Pre-Symposium Course
Monday August, 3rd – 8:00am – 12:00pm
Biosafety Leadership: Essential Tips for Leading in Biosafety – Sean Kaufman
Biosafety officers face several challenges ranging from limited resources, quick deadlines, factors of human error, workforce resistance, and safety culture issues. The biosafety officer is the keystone of safety culture, serving at the intersection of the organization’s workforce and leadership. This responsibility requires a unique set of leadership skills. Participants attending this workshop will receive a summary of lessons learned from the Leadership Institute for Biosafety Professionals.
Cost: $125 before July 3rd ($175 after 7/3)
- “Aerosol transmission dynamics of infectious agents in academic labs,”
- Rachel Jones, Ph.D, UIC School of Public Health
- “Becoming a Culture Expert,”
- Sean Kaufman MPH, CHES, CPH, Founder, Behavioral-Based Improvement Solutions, LLC
- Select Agent Regulation Changes since 2012
- Victoria Guilfoil, DVM Veterinary Medical Officer
- “Gene Therapy,”
- Chris Jenkins, PhD, Senior Vice President , WIRB-Copernicus Group