Dear MABioN Members,
2020 is an election year for MABioN. One of my roles is to serve as the nominating committee chair for our biennial elections. I am soliciting volunteers from the membership that are interested in becoming more active in MABioN by serving on the Executive Council and/or as members of standing committees.
Current (paid) MABioN members are eligible to serve on any open position. Descriptions of Executive Council positions and standing committees are included below. Please complete and submit the Call to Service form by March 31st, 2020 by completing the form linked below. Elections will be held in April 2018 via electronic ballot.
Please feel free to contact myself or any member of the current Executive Council if you have questions about volunteering for any of these roles or if you know another member who would be a good fit for the positions listed.
Thanks to all MABioN members for your past, present, and future service to our affiliate!
Matt Anderson, MABioN Past President
Executive Council Roles:
- President: The President shall be the chief executive officer of the Associate, shall have general charge and supervisions over and responsibility for the affairs of the Association, shall preside at all meetings of the Council as Chairperson; shall represent the general membership at professional functions; and mediates any disputes over procedural matters. Unless otherwise directed by the Council, all other officers shall be subject to the authority and supervision of the president. The President may enter into and execute in the name of the Association contracts or other instruments not in the regular course of business that are authorized, either generally or specifically, by the Council. The President shall have the general powers and duties of management usually vested in the office of president of a corporation. The President may delegate from time to time to any other officer, any or all of such duties and authority.
- President-Elect: The President-Elect shall serve as the Chair of the Annual Midwest Area Biosafety Network, Inc. Symposium. In this role the President-Elect will work closely with the Symposium Host to ensure they have the support of the Council and resources required to host the Annual Biological Safety Symposium. The President-Elect shall serve as the trustee member of the Education committee. The President-Elect shall also have such duties and possess such authority as may be delegated to the President-Elect by the President and perform the duties of the President in his or her absence.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer shall have the custody of the funds and securities of the Association and shall keep or cause to be kept regular books of account for the Association. The Treasurer shall perform such other duties and possess such other powers as are incident to the office or as shall be assigned by the President or the Council.
- Secretary: The Secretary shall cause notices of all meetings to be served as prescribed in these bylaws and shall keep or cause to be kept the minutes of all meetings of the Council. The Secretary shall serve as the council member of the Membership committee. The Secretary shall perform such duties and possess such powers as are incident to the office or as shall be assigned by the President or the Council.
- Councilor: The Councilors-at-Large shall participate in Council meetings and provide additional representation of the membership on Council actions. Councilors-at-Large may serve as council members of committees as needed and should serve as active participants in a committee of their choice.
Committees of the Council:
Education Committee: The Education Committee is responsible for developing webinars, training opportunities, educational materials, and symposium scientific programs which represent the educational needs and interests of the membership. This committee will work closely with the Communications Director to coordinate the registration and presentation of webinars. The President-Elect will serve as the trustee member of the committee to support his/her role as MABioN Symposium Chair.
Communications Committee: The Communications Committee is responsible for supporting the Association’s web resources, social media presence, and member communications. This includes educational opportunity registrations, webinar presentations, web-based surveys, and elections conducted electronically. The Communications Director will serve as the trustee member of the committee.
Membership Committee: The Membership Committee is responsible for promoting MABioN membership to biosafety professionals and other interested individuals in the geographic area assigned to the affiliate. The Membership Committee will make efforts to cross-promote membership and its benefits to other ABSA International affiliate groups and other relevant professional organization members. The Secretary will serve as the trustee member of the committee to ensure provision of an accurate and current membership roster to the committee members.